This Message Brought to You by The Refugi Transitional Council

Started by Luca, December 26, 2022, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

Greetings all,

Several years ago I knew that I would be moving and, in order to make sure there would be as little disruption possible to the community, I purchased rights to our domains four to seven years in advance. A number of those will be coming due for renewal this year, and it's my intention to slim down. This means dropping some side projects that I had planned, as well as reducing CalRef's current two domains to one.

The issue with this is obviously which "one" will it be? The .network TLD was not popular during staff discussions, with almost everyone saying that it was awkward or too much of a gimmick. Additionally, .cc seems to be causing connection problems when their school or work content filter has banned the entire set, similarly to the last time that affected us. Around where I live, there's also a slight issue of people going "don't you mean .ca???" After a healthy debate of our options, Floor 16 has decided that's actually exactly what we mean.

CalRef is going to be relocating to its seventh domain, calref.ca. This change will produce the following results:

Relocations:

Special Notes:
  • dot.calref.network  will be discontinued and moved to calref.ca/dot
  • mail.calref.network  will be discontinued and moved to calref.ca/mail

Because we are a slight larger than we were the last time a move occurred, and because many people now link to images, files, and documentation URLs across a spectrum of publications, tutorials, and personal projects: All existing URLs will remain valid and supported for one calendar year. This means that now through December 2023, you will be able to link to a file as either https://calref.network/post/scott.png OR https://calref.ca/post/scott.png. After that time, old (.network / .cc) URLs may continue to work, but their longevity is not guaranteed. Old URLs will stop working entirely in 2024.

It is for that reason that you should take this time to change links in areas/publications you control to the new URL schema when you encounter them over the course of this new year, or report them to your applicable local authority for minimal disruptions. Users looking for Dot documentation will be able to access dot.calref.network for an additional year, but an annoying banner will start to appear, letting people know that the documentation is moving.

Forum Changes:
When it comes to this forum, old URLs will continue to work as described above, but login cookies will not. Consequently, the standard domain of this forum will switch to forum.calref.ca on January 1st. All members will be logged out and have to sign in again under the new (.ca) domain. In case of any confusion, the IP addresses of this forum (138.197.153.138 / 2604:a880:cad:d0::d1f:c001) will remain the same, as the server will otherwise not be changing.

Feel free to post in this thread with any questions or concerns you have during this process.

Luca

Quote from: Luca on December 26, 2022, 01:40:00 PMForum Changes:
When it comes to this forum, old URLs will continue to work as described above, but login cookies will not. Consequently, the standard domain of this forum will switch to forum.calref.ca on January 1st. All members will be logged out and have to sign in again under the new (.ca) domain. In case of any confusion, the IP addresses of this forum (138.197.153.138 / 2604:a880:cad:d0::d1f:c001) will remain the same, as the server will otherwise not be changing.

Happy New Year!

The above plans have been carried out, and the default domain of the forum has been set to forum.calref.ca. Additionally, PHP errors (primarily regarding member lists and search functions) should be fixed, and topic icons should work normally once again.

The Refuge portal page at calref.ca has been updated to be more streamlined for our new layout. You may also notice that the main site is more compact than it was before. Indeed, Tyranicus has consolidated his sites elsewhere and, after five years of hosting and 1,676 consecutive days of uninterrupted uptime, our Xenon server has been retired to the void.

If you notice anything that seems to have been missed or isn't working right, give the page a hard-refresh. If it still looks like there's a problem, drop me a message so I can get it patched up.

Cheers.

Luca

We are now half-way through the twelve month long transition of domains.

Notable:
    All sites that except for the wiki now warn users that the site is moving.

All automated email services (lost password, account confirmation, etc) are now sent from .ca addresses.

Archive's email service is working apparently for the first time in four years?

It is, once again, a good time to remind everyone about the domain moves. If you are linking to files or images under the old URL schema (.cc or .network), they will stop working at the end of the year, or an indeterminate period of time afterwards.

OwO

OwoowowowowoO

That concludes today's announcement.

Catherine

Thanks Luca! I have passed this on to The Star Enpire via TG as I don't think they're on our forum or discord but it'll affect the Refugia Culture dispatch.
Good morning friends and foes

Luca

We're now two-thirds of the way through the transition timeline.

For the last eight months, you should have seen a massive yellow banner whenever you clicked a URL for an old domain, letting you know it was time to switch your bookmarks or what have you. Starting today, the web apps that were mirrored on dual domains with no file hosting are no longer being provided on the old URL. This means:

Luca

Greetings,

The transitional council's timeline has now been concluded. Old URLs will no longer route traffic or process requests, and all old email addresses have been terminated. All sites and services are functioning well under the new calref.ca scheme. If you find anything broken from this point forward, check if it's going to the right calref.ca address, and please correct it or notify someone to correct it if it is not so.