News:

Grandpa Ant Says: Plant anything you find! You never know when it will become a bigger version of itself in three weeks.

Main Menu

[passed] Castle of Bureaucracy Part I: A Question of Vengeance

Started by Luca, January 15, 2023, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

Castle of Bureaucracy Part I: A Question of Vengeance

IT IS KNOWN. While some members of the Region are inclined to run for fifteen minutes in one direction, there exist those who shall not;

Whereas the democratic inclinations of the voting public selects 'those who shall not' as their champions of the season, it remains unclear why such rest stops need be four months instead of three;

In an effort to facilitate the rotation of exhausted personnel to those whose spirits remain alive,

Revises RRS 12, in its entirety, to the following content:

RRS 12. The succession of the Arch-Administrator is subject to the succession laws of Refuge Isle, and verified by the presence of an anchor stone and Administration Tower. The Arch-Administrator will call elections for all democratic Council seats according to the following convention:

Candidacy PeriodFeb 12 - 19May 12 - 19Aug 12 - 19Nov 12 - 19
Voting PeriodFeb 20 - 26May 20 - 26Aug 20 - 26Nov 20 - 26
Transition PeriodFeb 27 - 28May 27 - 28Aug 27 - 28Nov 27 - 28

Authored by: Refuge Isle
Seconded by: A Million Dreams and Tiralta

Natalie

I don't know if it's intentional but the February transitional period assumes the existence of a leap day, and the transitional periods vary between two and three days. Otherwise, I like this a lot. It's a good way to stir up activity.

Nakari

Shorter terms good! Shorter transition period also good. It does seem kind of confusing having all of them be the same dates except February, and also having the variation in transition periods - would it be possible to shift it to January/April/July/October, with some kind of provision for them happening late for the first go round? Or time them so they start at the start of the month so that there doesn't have to be all the date variation? But it's not a massive deal, so.

Aav

Quote from: LucaI maintain my assessment, sans Obama

Luca

Quote from: Natalie on January 15, 2023, 02:15:43 PMI don't know if it's intentional but the February transitional period assumes the existence of a leap day, and the transitional periods vary between two and three days. Otherwise, I like this a lot. It's a good way to stir up activity.
This is true, I'm not super sure how to handle the existence of leap day and February's schedule itself. There will never be a four month rotation where all the terms have the same number of days so that the dates align.

Quote from: Nakari on January 15, 2023, 02:29:52 PMShorter terms good! Shorter transition period also good. It does seem kind of confusing having all of them be the same dates except February, and also having the variation in transition periods - would it be possible to shift it to January/April/July/October, with some kind of provision for them happening late for the first go round?
That might be a better strategy.

Ideally, we'd not be holding elections during an ongoing site-wide event, but unfortunately with NS' new Event Calendar (wherein they rerun the same events at a faster pace), it will be less predictable when things will arise, and an ops councillor will likely always have to deal with multiple site-events during a given term from here on.

Quote from: Nakari on January 15, 2023, 02:29:52 PMOr time them so they start at the start of the month so that there doesn't have to be all the date variation? But it's not a massive deal, so.
Mostly my own neurotic interest in having the terms actually align with the way that we record their dates, which is itself a spin-off of how staff records are recorded.

Emily

I'm not sure the February one necessarily needs to be changed. The 27-29 possibility aligns with the 29-31 of other months, while the more common 27-28 will align with the 29-30 months. Every four years you just get a fun bonus day!

But more seriously, a transition period doesn't need to be super long, it should be safe to assume that if a new Councillor still has questions after assuming the role, the former Councillor and other former Councillors will still be around to answer questions.

Luca

Emily

This definitely solves the problem in an equitable way. I think it works well.

Catherine

I think this is a good idea, certainly having started my first culture term mid-term I felt like six months had been a long time by the time I was done! I also think it is more memorable when the dates line up.

Happy to second.
Good morning friends and foes

Natalie