News:

News: Catholics Celebrate Worldwide as Pope Francis Wakes from Hibernation — Watch the Cardinals Deliver Consecrated Deer Carcasses to the Papal Lair in This Heartwarming Clip

Main Menu

OoC: A Voice from the Storm

Started by Luca, November 06, 2019, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

clandrox

How does one start on the roleplay?
~clandrox
King Of Subadent and Her Trees, Speaker of Their Language Wucelapan.

Emily

Hello friend! :heart: I'm glad you're interested in joining us. Between Luca's and my summary posts, I think we've just about given all the information going on up to this point. Most recently in the game, my character Rizali, along with Luca's character Kaegan and Jess's character Cathal, have formed a party of sorts and are getting ready to cross Kingfisher Forest.

If you're meaning how to jump into an RP more generally, I've written a How to Roleplay thread for CalRef-style RPs. It touches mostly upon how we approach and think about RPing here.

If you're instead meaning how to get started on this RP in particular, then just start brainstorming a character and an introduction. Currently we have an illusion mage who has no combat skills (Riza), a swordsman who just recently realised he's capable of magic (Cathal), a forest sprite who hasn't revealed any particular abilities as of yet (Leeva), a young runaway who's half-decent with a shortsword (Cathal), and a hulking berserker with a massive two-handed kora sword (Lyndh, who's an NPC). If you want to design a character around any party openings you see, I encourage it, or if you want to make a character who's similar to one that's already there, that's absolutely fine as well. I aim for people having fun far more than I aim for party balance.

Also if you're the character adoption type, you can take Lyndh. He's detailed in the second half of this post. He was hired by Rizali in Coxarif, the nation's capital, as a bodyguard while they travelled west. He's revealed very little of his personality, so you'd have a mostly open book :)

Luca

Wiki Information: Hello, we have been doing ten thousand things recently on the wiki.

Part of these things include the latest edition of the Post Porting Project or PPP2, where an archived version of the RP posts are catalogued for easy access later on, and preserved in case the forum gets hit by a meteor.

We are also building a post summary which will have a sparknotes post-by-post summary of everything that's happened in everyone's post, so if someone wants to join a hundred posts in, they can read 100 cliffnotes instead of 100,000 words.

This project works better when posts have titles. The title of your post is in the Subject: bar when you go to make a reply to the IC thread, also it's just a cool thing that you can name. Posts without titles will simply not have a title listed in the PPP2, and will be called "[Untitled Post] - (author)" in the summary.

These are the posts that do not have titles - if you are the owner of one of them, you can edit and name them. Let me know if you have done so to any posts and we will build them into the wiki records as well.

AVftS-3 (Rea)
AVftS-4 (Natalie)
AVftS-6 (El)
AVftS-7 (Rea)
AVftS-9 (Rea)
AVftS-12 (Jens)
AVftS-15 (Jess)
AVftS-18 (Jess)
AVftS-19 (Cas)
AVftS-21 (Rea)

There are also a few more pages, and a number of new {{stub}}s on the A Voice from the Storm main page.

Emily

I'm going to spend the next few days rewriting some parts of Rizali's backstory. This is because I'm not terribly happy with how I made them and how that will fit into the wider story. I got too used to making powerful characters who focused more on personal growth in non-combat situations during my time at ZF and TSL, and I don't think that's going to work as well here.

Rea

Luca

Jens

I have renamed my post. Not used to giving titles to individual post yet.

I'm really, really enjoying this story, you guys.

Emily

Thank you Rea and Jens for helping with this :)

And Jens you can be part of the stooooooory!

Rea

That was a lovely post, Em and Luca ^.^ I will post on Sunday <3

Rea

So here's what I've surmised about Leeva's knowledge of the forest:

In their neck of the woods, they know everyone and everything, but the deeper into the woods they go, the less they will know about the locals, and at that point Rizali will have to rely on what they've learned from Leeva about the forest's magic to get everyone through safely, and Leeva will assist as much as possible, obviously.

That's what I've got.

Emily

That sounds good to me :) I'll be relying on everyone to think up troubles they might come across later on.

Also, I had a lot of Elvish in this post, since it's Rizali's first language and the only language they've ever heard their brother speak. It seemed right to me that it's what they'd hear in their dreams. I felt like it was kind of interesting to just have it in the one language, since it's entirely unimportant to the larger story, but I thought I'd give the option to know more. So the section is this:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And the translation is this:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Jens

Is the Elvish a preestablished thing I can look up or something you came up with?

I need to know for... reasons.

Emily

A little of column A, a little of column B.

The majority of the language comes from Dragon Age's Elvhen. In that series of games, the Dalish are the only elves who still speak it, and even they only have pieces of the language. It was nearly destroyed by the destruction of the ancient elven societies. Since all they have are fragments, a linguist who goes by fenxshiral created this project in which he tried to rebuild the language from the pieces that exist, keeping it in the flavour of what already existed, and fixing some of the holes that Bioware left behind.

But even that project was never finished. There's a lot there, but he stopped after a time. Soooo I've personalised it. I use his references for words and conjugations, and I take a lot of grammatical rules from Irish. In places where I can't find a corresponding word, I use the Irish equivalent as well. This probably doesn't work super great, since the Elvhen that fenxshiral has built is based off of certain rules of German (especially compounding words) and Portuguese. But I like Irish more than those languages :P

Anyway, that was a lot of overexplaining. Soz friend, the link is probably all you needed lol.

Jens

I like detailed explanations. Knowing what the basis is and what elements you added gives me a better idea what to change up. After all, Osin's dialect is gonna be a little different.

So there is no need to apologise, you silly goose :p

Emily

Jens

Quote from: Valkyrie on December 09, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Ooh, is Osin from Elahána?
I intended her to be from a fairly remote island. It's quite possible that her people and the Elves of Elahána have common ancestry, though.

I guess her version of Elvish wouldn't be so much a different dialect than an entirely different language altogether (albeit in the same group).

Emily

I think that should be fine. That being said, I imagine anyone else might not be terribly amused by continuing this thing I had expected as a rare thing happening  :sweatsmile:

General greeting is savhalla, then friend is falon. So something like "Savhalla, falon." then we can continue in English lol.

Rea

That's another thing, is it English or just Common Human Language or something like that?

Emily

Common human language, I'm just saying English because it's what we're typing the posts in, lol.