OoC: A Voice from the Storm

Started by Luca, November 06, 2019, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

This is the OoC thread for the A Voice from the Storm RP. The purpose of an OoC thread is to let you talk about the RP outside of the actual RP thread so that things don't get too muddled. If you want to make a post, but aren't sure what direction it should take, talking about things beforehand here might ease your mind a bit or let you get used to what's going on before jumping in.

You can also post any reactions you have to the recent posts in the RP here, including confusion, apocrypha, etc. Best practices for writing for other people's characters is to check with them first to make sure their characters would actually say the things you're writing before you speak on their behalf.

Have fun and make stuff up!

Casimir

So I'm working on a first post for AVftS, and I was wondering which liberties I have concerning the passage of time between posts, and my character's relation to current events. Take the discussion between Kægan and Cathal: if my character appears for the first time right after Amhas wrote about their converse, are they allowed to, say, bump into Cathal, leading to a possible confrontation, explanation, resolution, and introduction later on? Or is my character's arrival able to take place several days after the previous episode?
On the contrary, is it possible for me to have my character's genesis take place in the Forest or beyond, far away from the main party, and join said party after a few posts?

As always, I'm sorry if my writing or grammar look convoluted or otherwise uncomfortable to read.

Thanks! :heart:
that is not dead which can eternal lie;
and with strange æons even death may die.

Emily

To address your last point first, I think it's important that you realise your writing and capability with English -both in spelling and grammar- is beyond fluent! You're very good at communicating in English through text, and your formatting is entirely fine. Please do not worry about this  :smile:

As for the central point of your post, you are free to do within the RP what you like at all times ^-^ Rizali is from a city on the other side of the country we're playing in, while Cathal is from a country far away from us. If you'd like to start by writing a post in a faraway place, I see no issue with that, though it would probably be easier for you to fit into the current narrative if your character's point of origin is to the east of Kingfisher Forest, a (as far as we know) solid and unbroken line of trees that magically cuts our lands off from whatever is to the west of them.

It would also be difficult, of course, to write a post right now that takes place in the current location, but doesn't take place for several days, as our characters are pretty well tied up with one another and can't easily timeskip without breaking that interaction. Does all of that make sense?

In character, I've unfortunately made it difficult within the world-building thus far to get to Ceadaichte Mòir, but Calamity Refuge roleplaying guidelines (see How to Roleplay for further guidance) state that you can change that whenever and however you want. If you want to have a character fly in or ride a horse or whatever tickles your fancy, you should totally go for it and have a great time with it!

If this didn't answer your question and I've just wasted your last couple minutes with reading, I'm so sorry  :laughing:

Casimir

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 06, 2019, 02:47:04 PM
You're very good at communicating in English through text, and your formatting is entirely fine. Please do not worry about this :smile:

That's quite the relief, honestly.

All of that is duly noted. This was super helpful :heart: Thanks a lot! Expect a post very soon :3

Emily

I'm so excited about this WIKI!

I've edited Riza's page. Please come and enjoy the new images.

Luca

I'd like to start working on getting started on this trip through the forest, is there anything that we need to take care of before we start to go? Also how do you want to get started on going? If Riza's in charge of the caravan, what's going to make him start to get moving?

Emily

Riza doesn't have much more to do before he's all set to head out! Basically he's just seeing who he can recruit, but he's ready to head out in the night if nobody else jumps on board with him, Kaegan, and Lyndh (and Cathal now that he's joined the group).

I was imagining it was late afternoon already, with a planned escape into the trees as soon as the sun is down. They can set up camp once they're far enough into the forest that nobody will likely follow and catch them (unless you're looking at this Rea and want Leeva to catch up!).

Jens

I would like to send one more person along with your party, if you don't mind. :wink:

Emily

I don't mind at all! But they'll have to meet   :p

Emily

Hey Jess, I need some information from you. I'm trying to write up Rizali's post but I don't want to either 1, brush off Cathal and walk away to do other things or 2, make something short because I can't imagine Cathal's responses. So let's plan.

Cathal: "Yup Rizzo! Wait would ya? I have a letter here, I don't know how my parents found where I am, but they did. I just got this from my da. They want me back in An Clár to fight a war for Corcaigh, just to scare Luimneach and impress the rest of Thomond and bloody Éire!? He can feck off, I have this gig here, I'm not bothered to fight a war for a county that I was only just fighting against a few years back. But I thought you might be interested. I have this map if you want to see it."

Rizali: "Slow down, Cancun, what are you talking about and why would I want to- wait, you're from Éire? - Anyway, no, we're passing through Kingfisher as soon as I can get everyone together. Why would I want to put that off?"

What would Cathal say in response to that?

Jess

Cathal would say "ah here now, there's no need to get your knickers in a knot. Thought you should know about the important things and important people on the other side of the Kingfisher! If ye go past that forest without knowing what's going on in Éire, ye'll look like a fool! There's a bloody war going on over there, and even though Thomond is ages away from the Kingfisher, there'll be havoc right outside it. In Sasanach, in An hAlbain, everywhere! If Thomond goes to war, the rest of Mumhan will be in anarchy, then Éire, then everywhere. I'm sorry to be getting so rude, but ye need to know this for yer own sakes."

Emily

Oh, you're playing to Éire being on the other side of Kingfisher? That's going to put a big wrench in the central concept of this rp, which is to cross the Kingfisher forest to see for the first time in the 1000 years it's existed what's on the other side  :sweatsmile:

Luca

Quote from: Amhas on November 09, 2019, 01:43:47 PMIf ye go past that forest without knowing what's going on in Éire, ye'll look like a fool! There's a bloody war going on over there, and even though Thomond is ages away from the Kingfisher, there'll be havoc right outside it.
Up to this point in the RP, it's already been established that the Kingfisher forest is some endless-feeling 50km deep forest that was created by the Empire. As a result, its border is a solid line, because that was as far as the spell extended. No one has been known to have gone through it that I'm aware of.

Edit: sniped

Jess

Ok, that's no problem, I thought the kingfisher was something else. We can just say Éire is just really far away, but still inside the borders. In that scenario, Cathal would say "Because there's a bloody war going down right now. It'll be anarchy, and there'll be nothing left to return to after we cross this stupid forest"

Emily

Quote from: Amhas on November 09, 2019, 02:35:13 PM"Because there's a bloody war going down right now. It'll be anarchy, and there'll be nothing left to return to after we cross this stupid forest"
"Kid, I think you've misunderstood this mission," a glint appears in Rizali's eye, "I don't plan on returning to Ustendelle. If I'm correct, and I'm almost never wrong, the land beyond this forest is a better life for all of us. None of us have a place left for us on this side of the forest. It sounds like you don't either."

He'll start walking away at this point, but say over his shoulder, "or won't, anyway. Think about it, Cathal."

Jess

"Suit yourself" and then he'd head back to work, probably contemplating a return to Thomond. Hope this helps!

Casimir

Quote from: Wisdom on November 09, 2019, 02:27:48 PM
No one has been known to have gone through [Kingfisher Forest] that I'm aware of.

This invalidates like half of my character's origin story :upsidedown:
I was thinking of having them fall from a promontory, but have their fall broken and death averted by the thick canopy foliage of the Kingfisher. Ramår then gets disoriented when leaving the forest and has no choice but to follow the forest's straight border towards the north, in hopes of finding settled land (wherever you all are, as it happens).

But if they can't fall into the forest, I'll have to just create a seperate grove which won't be on her map either. Now that I think about it, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Expect my post sometime tomorrow morning Paris time, then.

Edit: just realised time is relative to your position on Earth. I can't even.

Emily

Quote from: Casimir on November 09, 2019, 05:01:52 PMBut if they can't fall into the forest, I'll have to just create a seperate grove which won't be on her map either.

I don't think there's a problem with just appearing or falling into the Kingfisher. In a previous Rizali post, the villagers admitted that they've been ten miles into the forest on a search for a lost girl. People can enter the forest, it's just unsettling and eventually terrifying because of all the weird and creepy things that happen there.

I imagine it wouldn't be possible to travel through, over, or under Kingfisher by magical or technological (such as they are) means. Otherwise Riza would shadow step to the other side.

Casimir

Remind me what shadow step is again? Riza sounds so dreadfully cool :3

I'm glad that Ramår appearing fifty meters inside the forest isn't an issue. To be fair, they happen to uproot some marram grass (beachgrass) later on for sustenance, so I could also just have the foot of the cliff be full of dunes and tall-ass beachgrass due to erosion by the corridor's wind or something. That actually sounds better than my original arc :3

Also, I'd like to check whether the locations and directions I've chosen are available/accurate. Basically, south of the village where you all are, there's this mountain range that starts to emerge. There are a lot of plateaus and stuff like that, and that's p much where the Sylven would live. One of the mountains' peak is a promontory over a cliff, the foot of which is within ten meters of the Kingfisher's edge. The Kingfisher is west of us, right?.

If everything's okay with you, I might post my chapter tonight (Paris time :3 ).

Emily

Shadow step is an advanced illusion spell in d&d that allows the caster to travel from any one spot that is in shadow to any other spot that is also in shadow. This starts as just being able to teleport within sight, but can eventually be a distance the caster wants to travel.

Riza has an entire wiki page on their history if you want to read it 🤣I don't know that it's cool, but I'm pretty proud of it.

If you want some hills to be forming south of Ceadichte Mòir which then eventually become mountains, I think that's perfectly great :) and yes, we are all east of the Kingfisher.

Quick question, what are the Sylven 👀are they just a cultural group of humans? Another race? Sylphs? 👀👀👀👀