News:

Refugia News: Councillor of Operations Ignores Questions, Repeatedly Striking Brick with Hammer, Screaming "NO!"

Main Menu

horror games are cool

Started by Copyn, January 11, 2020, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copyn

like honestly I'm afraid of everything especially and including myself so idk why I find them enthralling
maybe it's the adrenaline or somethin
but watching horror games always like entrances me somehow
I can't actually play them tho cuz I get too paralyzed by fear (even just watching them is hard tbh)
but I wish I could
:spider:

Emily

Okay so I actually have such a weird history with horror games. For a long time, I loved them. I also loved horror movies during this time, so that might not have been all that weird. I remember playing Resident Evil Zero, Silent Hill... other Resident Evil games, Dead Space. Basic early-to-mid 00's fare.

And then I played Condemned: Criminal Origins. For anyone who doesn't know, Condemned is a game about solving a murder, and you have some very basic detective powers, things that would later be used in the Batman Arkham games, right? So there are a lot of jump scares, but the main strength of the game is the tension, and there's this one moment where you're looking through this large underground system of... caaaaaves? maybe? Anyway, I turned around at one point, with my only weapon being a piece of a billboard I'd picked up earlier, to see a giant group of monsters chasing after me. It scared me so bad that I refused to play the game ever again. I also didn't pick up another horror game for at least five years.

The first horror game after that that I tried to play was Outlast  :heppy: and I didn't play that one for very long either. So now I'm too scared to play horror games and I just play really sweet things like A Short Hike and Eastshade. My heart can't take bad things anymore.

Copyn

I feel you with my spider paws
granted I always sucked at playing horror games, when I was a kid I was too afraid to even let my sister play Friday the 13th on NES
granted lowkey even as an adult that game kinda makes me anxious despite it not exactly being held in great regards
honestly I can't even do stealth segments in games either; it's why I stopped playing Breath of the Wild and why I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to continue playing Majora's Mask

Emily

Oh my gosh you poor thing! I totally know what you mean about anxiety in games making it hard to keep playing. I've ended up permanently deleting like 3/4 of my Steam account because I don't like being made anxious by games anymore. I just think it's no fun.

I'm so sorry that Breath of the Wild gave you that feeling :c for what it's worth, the game is great and if you ever want to go back to it there's literally no need to fight like 99% of the enemies, lol. Just scout out ahead of time and see if any of them have good weapons/shields/bows. If they do, just shoot them with arrows from far away. That's what I did :heppy:

Copyn

but it's a dumb plot segment :frown:
I wanna do all the plot-y bits (even if there's only like 5 of them) but now I gotta do stealth and my anxiety can't deal :NotLikeCat:

Natalie

Horror games freak me out. I get uneasy playing stuff that's not even meant to be scary, there's no way I'm sitting down to something full of jump scares. Maybe if there were one that were all atmosphere and no deliberately jarring moments, like a less abstract Yume Nikki, but no more than that.

Rea

Are you talking about the Yuga clan bit, Copyn? I hate stealth, I will nope out of a game so fast, though I made it through the Yuga bit by running around purposely after getting caught. It was kind of funny watching them chase me. I got my revenge by stealing all of the banananas on every. Single. Attempt.

I struggle with Majora's Mask as well.

See, like, in Fallout 3 I never did stealth. If I couldn't barge in with my trusty flaming baton of glory and destroy everything to pieces, the mission never got did.

I hate stealth.

I LOVE watching horror games, though. Literally one of my favorite things to do. Play?

Nnnnnnnnope. I'm with y'all there. I think from reading your reactions, I'm probably still more okay with it than any of you, so if we ever did a collab thing where we stupidly decided to play a horror game, I would be okay being the one playing while you all could watch :D I WOULD TAKE THAT BULLET FOR YOOOOOOU!!!

Any game that gives me anxiety I search for on Youtube and usually there's a good ending version.

EDIT: The game that gave me the MOST anxiety, though, wasn't horror. It was frikkin Chrono Trigger, that point where you go back in time with I think Luca's mom where she gets trapped in the freaking conveyor belt and you have a limited amount of time to save her before HER LEGS GET TRAPPED IN THE FREAKING MACHINE AND SHE WINDS UP IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.

THAT SCARRED ME SO BAD.

Copyn

Yesss as soon as I hit the Yiga clan I just....didn't wanna do it.
So I've not played in like forever

Stealth tends to feel kind of obnoxious sometimes tbh cuz the way a lot of games I've experienced will do it is more like "do it perfectly or else start over", which is horrible
I'm sure games dedicated to stealth are probably better but I don't think I own/have played like any of those

But I love watching horror! Even if I can't play it to save my life lol
Also I DON'T REMEMBER THAT ABOUT CHRONO TRIGGER THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE AAAA
(granted most of my chrono trigger experience was with the monster-fighting side game in the ds remake lol)

Emily

Oh my god you're right, I totally forgot about the Yiga clan bit! That was pretty obnoxious, even though I don't remember all the details of it, I remember failing several times and having to start over frequently. I still love that game though.

Dedicated stealth games are usually pretty good about it, I really liked the Deus Ex games and the Dishonoured stealth runs.

I totally forgot about that part of Chrono Trigger Rea and now I have the extreme anxiety of it all over again! Oh my gosh what a stressful part of that game.

Rea

It was the worrrrst, luckily the rest of Chrono was amazing!

I think the yoga clan bit is the only real stealth part of BotW, so if you can get past it the rest of the game is fine. If I remember correctly.

But like when I first played Ocarina of Time, I got so scared of that darn well and Shadow temple that I quit playing for months.