News:

News: Catholics Celebrate Worldwide as Pope Francis Wakes from Hibernation — Watch the Cardinals Deliver Consecrated Deer Carcasses to the Papal Lair in This Heartwarming Clip

Main Menu

On Minecraft

Started by Luca, March 18, 2021, 11:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

I really thought we'd be done with this in 2014, but apparently this game still exists. You may remember the last incarnation of a thread about a Minecraft server called Oxygen.

The only thing is that the last version we ran is a bit outdated, and a lot of the mods we were using had their final compatibility on that version (1.12?). So basically all of those are gone and buried. If some of you incredibly knowledgable individuals know of mods or would like to suggest mods in a potential new Minecraft server, please post here declaring your undying love for them in approximately a nearby version to the latest one that's on. I'm given to understand this is 1.17 after about six seconds of research.

If you would prefer a non-modded version of the server, you can declare your undying love for that as well.

Either way, please signal your interest generally. The server tends to be a bit of a pain to set up for the first time, and a little on the expensive side to run, so I'd ideally like to make sure it would be used before I set it up.

Cheers,

- L

Sakana

Hi there, it's your friendly neighborhood flower girl here, back with... Well, not flowers this time!

Right now, all I can think of would be some quality of life improvements BetterSleeping, Graves (this can really make things suck less if something happens and you end up getting blown up on accident), something that allows you to set a home or two (which can really make life better) like EssentialsX (this also has a lot of other things too, likely wouldn't be too useful for us though besides /sethome commands). Most importantly I'd suggest something along the lines of DiscordSRV which allows anything said in the minecraft channel to be repeated in a discord channel and anything said in that discord channel to be sent as messages in the minecraft world.

Plugins:
Better Sleeping
This mod allows sleeping to be *slightly* easier to deal with. Normally in a minecraft world, all players have to be in a bed for sleeping to occur. With the BetterSleeping plugin, you can make it so that only 25% of the players have to be sleeping. This can be handy if one player can't get to a bed since otherwise you'd not be able to pass the night.

A link can be found heeeere

Graves
This mod creates a grave when a player dies. Rather than having all of their items drop, it instead places them into a grave, which the player can break to get back their items and gain some of their levels back. Useful for avoiding frustration and making it so huge amounts of progress aren't all lost at once.

Link!

EssentialsX
This one has a lot of content, but what I think it would be useful for is the /sethome command. /sethome or /sethome [[name]] allows you to set a home that you can later do the command /home [[home name]] to teleport to. It's really really reaaaaaaaally handy in a lot of ways, especially if you're exploring. It makes life so much better in so many ways. I'm sure there's *lots of other things you can do with the mod* but I have no idea what they are!

Links to the plugin, and list of commands here

DiscordSRV
DiscordSRV is a plugin that allows you to link a discord channel to a minecraft world and vice versa. Anything that is sent in the chat gets sent in the minecraft world as a message from god and anything that's said in the minecraft world is sent in the channel as a bot message. You can have death messages, join messages and all sorts of things. It can really help create more activity and help people play together/have some camaraderie!

A Link for the handy dandy plugin

TreeAssist
This mod is simple quality of life thing. If you, like any minecrafter likely will in their career, cut down a tree, two things will happen:
1) The entire tree will be cut down.
2) Leaf decay is faster.
3) After a little bit of time saplings (that came from the tree's leaf decay) will appear where the tree was before, avoiding the classic "Oh no, I destroyed the landscape D:" that often happens.

While none of this is essential, after playing with it for a bit I've really come to enjoy it all as it's a massive timesaver and allows for a lot bigger projects than you might be able to do otherwise.

It also does a good job of not breaking player-placed blocks. (I don't think I've ever run into it happening). One way or another, here's a link!

Mods:
Pam's HarvestCraft 2
This one is inspired by Em and the wonderful work she did at the Stamp Society (and I'm sorry Em if you were already typing this up Dx) Pam's HarvestCraft was reworked into a series of four mods:
1) A mod adding 120+ new foods with vanilla minecraft ingredients.
2) A mod adding 70+ things for Emily to plant brand new crops!
3) Trees! It adds more trees!!! IT HAS PAPAYA TREES WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED TO KNOW [and maple trees since CANADA!].
4) More food! This combines things from the rest of the three mods to add 400+ new foods to the game. Which is. Super. Freaking. Cool.

Oh, and have I mentioned this is all for 1.16? Since it is :>
Links for Pam's HarvestCraft 2 mods in order I listed them: Food Core, Crops, Trees, Food Extended

Biomes O' Plenty
Suggested by Phoenix (but I dun know if they have a calref forum account so I'mma just add it here). It does what it says on the tin! It adds toooooooons of new biomes, plants, flowers, trees and lots of other things. Hopefully it won't have overlap with Pam's HarvestCraft 2, but I'm not sure.

Link is here!

Serene Seasons
Another one suggested by Phoe! This mod adds seasons to minecraft! It changes grass and foliage colors, temperature can change, snow can fall in weird places, storms, ect! I've never played with it before but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

A link to it is here

I'm sure I'll have more ideas but for now this is what I have off the top of my head!* Additionally, all of these should work for minecraft 1.16!

*It's likely that TreeAssist won't work with Pam's HarvestCraft 2 and Biomes O' Plenty but I don't really know!

Jinkies

Hihi! Saka told me this was happening and I made an account just to signal my interest ^^ I would honestly play on this server p much every day if u set it up!

lotte

Yes, yes, splendid. I like Saka's suggestions very much, BetterSleeping, Graves, and TreeAssist were all in my own server and I can attest to their goodness.

Mods I'm iffy on. Obviously, I think whatever the majority of people wish to play on is what should go, and I personally love all the mods suggested so far. My only concern is that it won't be as accessible to people. It's a small complaint though, and i definitely like the idea of mods. Oxygen was very good.

If any help is needed at all in server moderation/administration, I volunteer, as I have previous experience in Minecraft servers.

All in all, very excited about this prospect, good job Saka on suggesting every plugin I was gonna suggest!

HumanSanity

I've never done Minecraft before at all, so I don't really know much/anything about it. But if there was a Refugi server (I think that's how it works), I'd be more than willing to try it out given I have some time availability right now and need non-stressful activities
I am juuuuuust a pony
I make mistakes from time to time

Aramantha

I will note that the newest version is actually not 1.17. There have been a couple snapshots of it but the full release of 1.17 has not come out yet and at the moment has no official release date. 1.16.5 is the newest actually official version of the game.

As for mods, yes a lot of them stopped updating in 1.8, 1.10, and then 1.12, but most of the huge mods still get updated (see Sakas mod suggestions and a couple more). Depending on just how modded you want to get the server, you can still get some solid modpacks in 1.16. That being said, I wouldn't recommend a ton of mods because not everybody has beefy computers.

If we were to be playing in survival though, I might recommend Tinkers Construct. I'm 90% sure it's still updated for the newer versions and it makes it way more fun to work on and customize tools/weapons/furnaces/etc. Tinkers does kind of heavily change a lot of the core concepts of the game tho so if we're going for a more vanilla vibe, I don't recommend it.

And two further suggestions:

AppleSkin which is just super useful stuff for hunger (you can see saturation and hunger on a food, it'll show you how much hunger you'll get from eating something in the hunger bar, etc). I've always found it to be super useful with Pams because otherwise it's really hard to tell how good a food actually is.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/appleskin

Just Enough Items is also super helpful, better search functions, better user interface stuff, very useful with mods like Pams that have 3 trillion foods and also just generally a better search function than the base Minecraft one.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/jei/files/2995910

Both of those are just quality of life stuff, not anything actually beefy, just useful.
I LOVE YOU ALL!! DRINK YOUR WAWA AND LIVE IN PEACE!!

mads

A mod that I would suggest is StrawGolem Reborn, which is a fairly light mod that adds a golem that harvests crops for you, which would fit with some of the suggestions for lightweight magic/farming mods that are close to vanilla.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/strawgolem-reborn

And if folks are interested in more decorative mods, Chisels and Bits allows one create very granularly detailed minecraft structures with microblocks.
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/chisels-bits

Emily

Hello, long time listener first time caller. After much thought I have come to my personal thoughts on what would be most fitting to keep in the spirit of the last server we did.

Seconding:

And what I'd suggest that hasn't been suggested yet, in order of interest:

• Decorative Blocks - As it says on the tin, new light sources and decorative blocks.
  • Embellishcraft - This introduces new block types, roof blocks, new stone and wood types, stairs, chairs, etc.
  • Botany Pots - Plant plants (including Harvestcraft and Biomes O'Plenty) in pots in your home.
  • Extra Alchemy - A whole lot of new, apparently vanilla-friendly types of potions and brewing expansion.
  • Fairy Lights - Oops I forgot to add this in but IT'S SO CUTE

Luca

Hello I return

Better Sleeping - seems fine to me. I think we used something like this in the distant past, but it's been a minute. If there's strong support for it, I'll add it in.

Graves - Accepted, we used them before and there were no negative side effects that I can remember

EssentialsX - Likely not. I'm not keen to add anything that includes low-effort teleportation to places. We did a whole lot of that back in the day, and after a year of it, it was pretty much determined to be a net-negative.

DiscordSRV - It's possible, but I would prefer to work on a way that would let Dot interact with the server and I'm not keen on this mod's methods.

TreeAssist - Yes, done

Pam's HarvestCraft 2 - Yes, done

Biomes O' Plenty - Yes, done

AppleSkin - Sure, I'll give it a try.

Just Enough Items - Yes, done.

StrawGolem Reborn - This is hilarious, done.

Chisels and Bits - Is there a chisel-like mod that does not use microblocks? I've had experiences with microblocks that bugged out and deleted vast swaths of user content.

Serene Seasons - I'll give it a try. We'll see if it's compatible with Pam's stuff.

Will look at adding extra stuff later, but this is probably good-ish for a first round go.

Sakana

Quote from: Luca on March 30, 2021, 02:20:27 PM
DiscordSRV - It's possible, but I would prefer to work on a way that would let Dot interact with the server and I'm not keen on this mod's methods.

That makes a lot of sense! I dun know how it works but I absolutely think Dot would be better (but pleaaaaaaaaaase take care of yourself and dun do that if you aren't up for it). Dot is the best bot after all!

Thank you so much for doing all this Lulu!