Recruiting for a Dungeons and Dragons Campaign!

Started by mads, July 26, 2023, 09:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mads

Hey folkens! I've been mulling over this for a bit, but I figured now is as good a time as any!

I'm hoping to start up a DnD campaign in the next few weeks that I'd DM and I was looking for some players! I'm thinking around 4 or 5 would be ideal but I am happy to stretch or squash that number! If possible I'd like to use VC, though in a channel only visible to the players. If folks are interested they can feel free to lmk in the thread or dm me, as well as to ask questions! This would be a 5e campaign, played through virtual tabletop!

I also figured I'll put a little blurb to sell the vibe!

The campaign would take place in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world approximately 15 years after a major extinction event. Over the course of a year, a black shroud swept over the continent, wiping out every sentient being that came into contact with it. Those few that survived did so only through luck or extreme measures, invariably sacrificing some major part of themselves.

As the cloud closed on the final few settlements, hundreds of thousands of refugees fled to one of the last remaining cities. Alinore, once a minor fishing port, swelled at its seams as the last people on the continent sought shelter in its walls. The leadership of the city conscripted every magic-user they could in service to the defense of the city. They were to build a barrier that would hold against the desolation, treated as heroes and lauded for every contribution. One by one, they were linked to the barrier, the defenses leeching their intrinsic powers or their knowledge in service to the salvation of Alinore. For weeks and months they worked, doing everything they could to strengthen a massive ward able to withstand the destructive powers of the dark cloud that had wiped out the continent.

As those few remaining days slipped by, and the darkness on the horizon closed on the city, the air of the city was one of tense anticipation. There was no point in running. All that could be done was to work on the magical protections. And when the dark cloud first came in contact with the wards around the city, and recoiled in a burst of light, the amassed citizens and exhausted mages cheered. They'd done it. They would be safe. Even as more cloudy tendrils struck the dome of light and were rebuffed, the cheers grew louder. The world, or all that was left of it was going to survive a bit longer.

And then at the last moment, the barrier began to fail, dark tendrils seeping through the last hope of the continent. As the shimmering wards began to shatter, one last surge of energy pulsed through the sky, and a massive burst of light forced those watching to avert their eyes. When they looked up again, the dark shroud was gone, along with the clouds, the sun, the moon, everything beyond the barrier, and every single magic-user linked to the barriers. With the sacrifice of their lives, they had planeshifted the city away. They would be safe from the desolation, though the next threat would be their limited food stores. Within a month, the royal family had stepped down, a citizen's council formed to determine how best to keep the city safe in their uncertain future.

One year later, Alinore would return, haggard and grim, its citizens no trace of the desolation that had been wrought. Over the next few years, the city would expand into the nearby land, exploration discouraged by the city council, for fear that any stray settler may lead destruction back to the newly defenseless city. As time went on and adventurers from other settlements that had survived made contact, public opinion would eventually force the council to allow adventuring parties to venture out into the world that remained.

The players would be some of the first explorers to set foot beyond Alinore, finding other settlements that survived and forging bonds as they try to uncover what happened in that final year before the world ended.

Nakari

EXPRESSING EXTREME INTEREST. This sounds incredibly fun!!!

Catherine

Good morning friends and foes

ThomasLF

I definitely would play! But I might be a little rusty...

Sounds so good though!

A

I'm still kinda new to DnD but this setting sounds AMAZING! I am very interested.

Lyxu

I would absolutely join in on this if it fits my schedule and stuff!

The campaign I was in this year ended early June, so ive been looking for a new campaign to join cx

Also the lore possibilities with this concept :O
-Lyxu

Kal

Probably playing Minecraft, Reading or doing stuff for whatever DnD campaign

mads

Hey folks! Sorry been slammed recently XD But! Setting up a WHENISGOOD link so we can start getting some stuff figured out!

https://whenisgood.net/calref-dnd-times

This seems like a workable number of folks, so i'm stokeddddddddddd

Catherine

Quote from: mads on August 07, 2023, 01:44:59 PMHey folks! Sorry been slammed recently XD But! Setting up a WHENISGOOD link so we can start getting some stuff figured out!

This seems like a workable number of folks, so i'm stokeddddddddddd

Exciting! I have replied!
Good morning friends and foes

A

Lyxu

Ditto!

But question, are we making the character in a session 0 or do we make them beforehand? If so, do we just use vanilla classes and races or? :P
-Lyxu

mads

Quote from: Lyxu on August 09, 2023, 08:56:22 AMDitto!

But question, are we making the character in a session 0 or do we make them beforehand? If so, do we just use vanilla classes and races or? :P
I was figuring that folks could start some characters beforehand, but I'd love to do either a session 0 or some one-on-one's to help make sure everyone is happy with their character and backstory!

Also! For that! All Official Races and Classes are cool, you can bring homebrew ideas to me if you'd like though, and we're all gonna be starting at lvl 5!

A

Kal

Can we write our characters out on paper or should we use DnD beyond?
Probably playing Minecraft, Reading or doing stuff for whatever DnD campaign

mads

Quote from: A on August 10, 2023, 12:14:18 PMMulticlassing?
Totally allowable, so long as you're 5 levels total!
Quote from: Kal on August 10, 2023, 12:28:36 PMCan we write our characters out on paper or should we use DnD beyond?
You can do either! We're probably gonna be using roll20 or the like for gameplay, so just so long as you send me a copy of your sheet it's all good!

Lyxu

Quote from: mads on August 10, 2023, 11:30:22 AM
Quote from: Lyxu on August 09, 2023, 08:56:22 AMDitto!

I was figuring that folks could start some characters beforehand, but I'd love to do either a session 0 or some one-on-one's to help make sure everyone is happy with their character and backstory!

Also! For that! All Official Races and Classes are cool, you can bring homebrew ideas to me if you'd like though, and we're all gonna be starting at lvl 5!
Aight! Level 5 is my favourite place to start so nice :D
-Lyxu

A

Quote from: mads on August 07, 2023, 01:44:59 PMHey folks! Sorry been slammed recently XD But! Setting up a WHENISGOOD link so we can start figuring some stuff out!

Have we figured out when to start or are we still awaiting some responses?

Lyxu

Hey people, is the campaign still on the table or has it been dropped?
Figured I should ask since its been a while, and also I have a friend who is interested in dnd, and in the case it is still on the table then I was going to ask if she could join or not? :P
-Lyxu