The CalRef Recipe Book

Started by Catherine, October 27, 2023, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherine

My mum has this big folder that's full of recipes. It was started by my great granny, passed down to my granny, and then to my mum. There's a mix of all sorts of food in there, both family recipes carefully handwritten, and things tried from books or magazines cut and pasted. My mum is gonna add in her own recipes and then pass it to me to add mine some day.

I figured it could be kind of cool to do a CalRef version of this. Maybe you have perfected a recipe over many years or you just found one online last weekend that worked out great, it's all allowed here!

I'll start with a recipe for my favourite soup, it's really common in my part of Ireland and always reminds me of home.

Ingredients
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup split peas (you can sub a cup of garden peas of you can't find these)
1/4 cup lentils (any colour)
1½ pints vegetable stock
1 large leek
2 medium or large carrots
3 sticks of celery
25g parsley
A sprig of rosemary
Some thyme
A bay leaf

Method:

1. Put the pearl barley, split peas and lentils into a large soup pot and add the vegetable stock. Put the pot on a high heat.

2. Chop the leek, carrots, celery and parsley and add them to the pot.

3. Using a bit of string, make a little herb bouquet with the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Alternatively you can just throw them in, but the string makes it easier to fish out later.

4. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Remove the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf (or don't, it's up to you), add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Serves between 4-8 depending on how big you want your portions. This soup goes great with a nice crusty bread as you don't blend it and the bread soaks up all the broth.

Freezes well for 6 months.
Good morning friends and foes

Kal

So I have a contribution. I've found a really good Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, I've made it plenty of times and it's always a hit.

Ingredients

250 g butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp hot water
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups chocolate chips or a combination of chocolate chips and chopped nuts

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease several baking sheets

Put the butter or margarine and brown and white sugars into a bowl or food processor. Beat or process till pale and creamy, then add the eggs, hot water, and vanilla essence. Beat or process until fluffy.

Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda, and add to the other ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips, and chopped nuts if using. Drop teaspoonfuls onto the greased sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. As the cookies bake they will rise; if you prefer a flatter cookie give them a gentle press with a fork during baking. Use a spatula to transfer them to racks to cool straightaway.

This recipe is from the book 'Fill the Tins' by Sophie Gray
Probably playing Minecraft, Reading or doing stuff for whatever DnD campaign

Catherine

That sounds great Kal, I'll give them a try sometime and let you know what I think!

Nakari

NAK'S FENNEL SEED AND CHOCOLATE COOKIE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS

120g softened butter
100g brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
160g flour
200g chocolate chips (or smashed chocolate bar)
5g fennel seeds

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Crush fennel seeds and chocolate. I smash them with a rolling pin.
3. Mix softened butter and sugar until combined and only just beginning to lighten
4. Fold in egg and vanilla extract
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix
6. Place on baking tray in large blobs. I used a heaping tablespoon. Not too close because they'll spread
7. Bake for 9 minutes, or until golden and no longer wet on top
8. Let cool. ENJOY THE DELICIOUS TASTE OF FENNEL SEED.

Catherine

Cat's "Bruh I Need To Use Up A Broccoli" pasta

You will need:
  • Some kind of blender
  • Pasta of choice (I've been using spiralli cause it's my favourite)
  • 1 head of broccoli's worth of florets
  • 1 brown onion
  • Mushrooms, maybe like 150-200g? This is not a precise recipe, don't worry about it.
  • Peas - I've been using a small can of garden peas which is 180g I think?
  • A couple cloves of garlic, or a couple of teaspoons of garlic paste (go with your heart, I'm not gonna police anybody's garlic use)
  • Some kind of cheese or substitute - cheddar or cream cheese work well
  • Some oil of choice (I use olive but I don't think it matters?)
  • Seasonings, I've been liberally using an "italian mix" with a little extra rosemary and sage thrown in, salt and black pepper
  • Pesto

1. Chop your vegetables. Do it now before you begin because I will forget to tell you later in the method otherwise.

2. Add a little oil to a pan on medium heat and throw in your onion to soften for a minute or two with your garlic and seasonings

3. Add the broccoli and top up with boiling water till covered

4. After idk like 10 minutes, add your mushrooms and peas. Set your pasta to boil at this point too (in a separate pan). Keep an eye on that and drain it when it's cooked.

5. Once the broccoli is soft enough to stab it easily with a fork, you wanna drain it.

6. Add 2 ladles of the pasta water to the broccoli pan and then blend.

7. Set it back on a low heat and add some cream cheese or cheddar or some kinda substitute if you don't have dairy and stir in well till fully melted. Add more water if the sauce is too thick for your liking, and add more salt and pepper if you want to. Nak suggests adding pesto too!

8. At this point you can add your pasta to the sauce, mixing well so it gets fully coated.

Serves 4-6 depending on how much pasta you made and how thick you like the sauce.

It really is just a "use up broccoli" recipe so there is room for improvement, if anyone does try this and makes it better I would love to know!

Catherine

I tried this recipe this afternoon (late lunch? early dinner?) and it's good, but I highly recommend adding chilli flakes to it for an even warmer spicier stew.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bean-halloumi-stew

Catherine

Nakari

Pilau rice is surprisingly easy to make so I'm gonna post recipe here.

1. Wash and drain ur rice. However much u want for ur meal.
2. Optional: fry an onion.
3. Put rice in pot. Put oil in pot. Fry the rice with spices. I used let's say half a teaspoon of pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, garlic powder, salt, coriander, fennel seeds. Lots of turmeric, like a tablespoon maybe. Stir it up until all the rice is yellow and coated with spice and it smells nice and toasty.
4. Pour in however much water cooks ur rice amount. Add some chicken stock if you're feeling spicy.
5. Cook it however long you cook ur rice. Idk all rice is different ur the expert on your own rice.
6. The rice will taste so good I am literally just eating spoonfuls of it.

Nakari

https://www.glutarama.com/dairy-free-baileys-recipe/

I used this recipe today to make vegan Bailey's and it SLAPS SEVERELY.

Notes: I used 500ml of oat milk instead of any cream, and the texture is pretty good. Could have used some cream but wouldn't be worth it for how little it would need. I'd add a bit less whiskey though. It may be a TINY bit strong. Maybe 200ml instead of 250.