[draft] Thesis 2: Coherency In Our Text

Started by Luca, November 20, 2023, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

Thesis 2: Coherency In Our Text

PREAMBLE. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to reflect on the text that governs a land, one may find that an original law may be insufficient at addressing a scenario which was, at the law's conception, inconceivable,

Although some governments may elect to establish, for example, twenty-seven addendums to the original law, this Region adopts a more enlightened possibility, provided by electronic documentation: The Delete Button, and

Revises RRS 12 and 13 in their entirety to the following, more diet-conscious text:

RRS 12. The Arch-Administrator will call elections for all democratic Council seats according to the following convention:

Candidacy PeriodFeb 12 - 19May 12 - 19Aug 12 - 19Nov 12 - 19
Voting PeriodFeb 20 - 26May 20 - 26Aug 20 - 26Nov 20 - 26
Transition PeriodFeb 27 - 28May 27 - 28Aug 27 - 28Nov 27 - 28

• During the Candidacy Period, any Member State may declare their intention to stand for office.
  • During the Voting Period, all Member States may vote in all elections via ranked preference instant-runoff; candidates are eliminated by fewest votes in each round of ballot counting.
  • During the Transition Period, elected councillors will receive overlapping access and powers with their predecessors, and all predecessors are dismissed at the end of the Period.

RRS 13. The following rules govern election procedure:

• Declarations must be posted to the Regional Message Board.
  • Candidacies composed of multiple Member States are invalid, and candidacies where a Resident has lost Member State status during the election cycle become invalid.
  • Member States are prohibited from occupying more than one Council seat at a time or occupying the same Council seat more than two times consecutively.
  • In the case that a Member State has won multiple Council seats, they must select their Council seat of preference within 24 hours of the Voting Period's conclusion, otherwise the selection will be carried out by the Arch-Administrator.
  • If a position is unable to be filled or becomes vacant by resignation, absence from existence, or legal impossibility, the Arch-Administrator may act in that position's capacity or appoint an individual who will serve in that capacity for the remainder of the term.

Authored by: Refuge Isle
Seconded by: Chacapoya

mads

I think it's great. I would like to suggest a potential change to the candidacy, voting, and transition periods, which was something I've been thinking about during my last term as Ops.

I believe that the terms being pushed back by 3 weeks to a month could be helpful to ensuring that we have one 'Global Event' per term. Currently, the August-November term has two, while the November-February term has none, as does the May-August.

Luca

Scheduling the Council terms for Ops is, indeed, the most difficult part. It was the most difficult part last time as well, but then I was going off of NationStates' event calendar to try to anticipate what to expect. Since Frontiers released this year, I think that is the reason that not all of them were executed as planned, but the current situation might not be as imbalanced as you believe:

January

February
  • Secretary-General Election (Feb 4)
  • Best Nation (Feb 14)
  • N-Day (Feb 25)

March

April

• AF Event (April 1)

May

• World Trade Fair (May 13)

June

July

• Cards Against NationStates Global (July 1)

August

• Secretary-General Election (Aug 5)

September

• N-Day (Sep 30)

October

• Z-Day (Oct 30-31)
November

December

The scheduling could still be improved, although we don't yet know what the schedule will be for next year, or if they intend to use the 2023 calendar as a template for 2024. Ops does not necessarily need to be on duty or running all of these events, and we may encounter an ops councillor who actively will push for the region to not participate in one or more events. That makes it a little challenging to know what the right dates are as well.

Is the following an improvement?

January

February
  • Secretary-General Election (Feb 4)
  • Best Nation (Feb 14)
  • N-Day (Feb 25)

March

April

• AF Event (April 1)

May

• World Trade Fair (May 13)

June

July

• Cards Against NationStates Global (July 1)

August

• Secretary-General Election (Aug 5)

September

• N-Day (Sep 30)

October

• Z-Day (Oct 30-31)
November

December

mads

Oooh valid. I forgot about CANS and the elections! In that case, suggestion withdrawn lmao.
Happy to second.

Luca

Understood. I will keep this up for comment and suggestions until the 26th when I plan to submit the proposal to vote.

Aav

Quote from: LucaI maintain my assessment, sans Obama

Emily

Aav

I cannot read, it is a known flaw of mine.
Quote from: LucaI maintain my assessment, sans Obama

Emily