News:

Refugia News: Councillor of Operations Ignores Questions, Repeatedly Striking Brick with Hammer, Screaming "NO!"

Main Menu

Recent posts

Spam / Re: Spam Points
Last post by Kal - November 04, 2023, 10:23:02 AM
HumanSanity: 81
Emily: 68
Luca: 60
Kal: 46
Argo: 30
A819: 26
Aav: 14
Wasc: 10
FLP: 7
Ziz: 5
Dyll: 5
Cat: 5
Fox: 4
Zuk: 2
Ruby: 2
Potato: potato
Istillian: 2
Sueloc: 1
Last post by Catherine - November 04, 2023, 03:13:47 AM
Kal: 45
Cat: 5
Last post by ThePotatoFanatic - November 03, 2023, 08:28:33 PM
Kal: 45
Cat: 4
General Discussion / Re: The CalRef Recipe Book
Last post by Nakari - November 01, 2023, 04:47:47 AM
NAK'S FENNEL SEED AND CHOCOLATE COOKIE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS

120g softened butter
100g brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
160g flour
200g chocolate chips (or smashed chocolate bar)
5g fennel seeds

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Crush fennel seeds and chocolate. I smash them with a rolling pin.
3. Mix softened butter and sugar until combined and only just beginning to lighten
4. Fold in egg and vanilla extract
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix
6. Place on baking tray in large blobs. I used a heaping tablespoon. Not too close because they'll spread
7. Bake for 9 minutes, or until golden and no longer wet on top
8. Let cool. ENJOY THE DELICIOUS TASTE OF FENNEL SEED.
Last post by Catherine - October 28, 2023, 02:33:43 PM
That sounds great Kal, I'll give them a try sometime and let you know what I think!
Last post by Kal - October 28, 2023, 02:29:43 PM
So I have a contribution. I've found a really good Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, I've made it plenty of times and it's always a hit.

Ingredients

250 g butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp hot water
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups chocolate chips or a combination of chocolate chips and chopped nuts

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease several baking sheets

Put the butter or margarine and brown and white sugars into a bowl or food processor. Beat or process till pale and creamy, then add the eggs, hot water, and vanilla essence. Beat or process until fluffy.

Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda, and add to the other ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips, and chopped nuts if using. Drop teaspoonfuls onto the greased sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. As the cookies bake they will rise; if you prefer a flatter cookie give them a gentle press with a fork during baking. Use a spatula to transfer them to racks to cool straightaway.

This recipe is from the book 'Fill the Tins' by Sophie Gray
General Discussion / The CalRef Recipe Book
Last post by Catherine - October 27, 2023, 03:08:37 PM
My mum has this big folder that's full of recipes. It was started by my great granny, passed down to my granny, and then to my mum. There's a mix of all sorts of food in there, both family recipes carefully handwritten, and things tried from books or magazines cut and pasted. My mum is gonna add in her own recipes and then pass it to me to add mine some day.

I figured it could be kind of cool to do a CalRef version of this. Maybe you have perfected a recipe over many years or you just found one online last weekend that worked out great, it's all allowed here!

I'll start with a recipe for my favourite soup, it's really common in my part of Ireland and always reminds me of home.

Ingredients
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup split peas (you can sub a cup of garden peas of you can't find these)
1/4 cup lentils (any colour)
1½ pints vegetable stock
1 large leek
2 medium or large carrots
3 sticks of celery
25g parsley
A sprig of rosemary
Some thyme
A bay leaf

Method:

1. Put the pearl barley, split peas and lentils into a large soup pot and add the vegetable stock. Put the pot on a high heat.

2. Chop the leek, carrots, celery and parsley and add them to the pot.

3. Using a bit of string, make a little herb bouquet with the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Alternatively you can just throw them in, but the string makes it easier to fish out later.

4. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Remove the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf (or don't, it's up to you), add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Serves between 4-8 depending on how big you want your portions. This soup goes great with a nice crusty bread as you don't blend it and the bread soaks up all the broth.

Freezes well for 6 months.
General Discussion / Rats (and also I love you)
Last post by Catherine - October 25, 2023, 03:01:39 PM
This is a kinda sad and probably rambly one, sorry in advance friendos!

Four years ago today, a good friend of mine died, and so I've been feeling really sad about that this evening. They loved rats and art and mostly they loved their friends. We met on a forum and never got to meet in person, although we both drew each other pictures of us hanging out together and sent them to each other.

I've also been doing a lot of thinking today, and I think the best way to honour their memory is to tell my friends that I love them.

And CalRef, you are all friends that I love. I'm not very good at telling you as often as you deserve, but I do mean it. This community is one where I have fun and love talking to you all. I think you're all so cool and interesting and talented at so many things. I love hearing you all talk about the stuff you love, even when, especially when I don't really know anything about the topic. There are so many times you've made me laugh till I've cried. I love how everyone here uses their talents to try to do nice things for other people and to make this world a more interesting, creative and welcoming place to exist.

I know resolutions are typically a new year's thing, but I do not recognise the dictatorship of the Gregorian calendar, so I'm resolving to be better at telling you that I think you're great, and why I think you're great. Cause y'all are important to me, and it's important to me that you know it.

Anyway, please enjoy these cute rats and tell the folks you love that you love them.

Roleplay / Re: Fanciful Tales and Another...
Last post by Catherine - September 12, 2023, 11:51:07 PM
Upon entering the Tower, Cat immediately sought out a room that was just full of simplebots doing their thing. The hum of little magic bots being useful was a good environment to think, even though she didn't really know what they were doing half the time, and certainly not how they worked.

And that was the crux of it, wasn't it? Cat had absolutely no idea what she was doing, never mind what a simplebot was doing. Everything she created came out not quite right, devoid of the life she saw in everyone else's magic. She'd once thought at the beginning of all of this, when the world started going wrong, that she could just try to help her friends. If everyone grabbed somebody's hand, then maybe everyone lived. People thought it was pointless optimism then, and now even more so. It was easy to understand why; with every hand that slipped out of hers it took more and more effort to keep reaching out to others, to believe that she could hold on and at least be proof that somebody wasn't alone, even if she couldn't help them. But with every person that had let go, she became more determined. What if some day somebody held out their hand, desperate for a friend, and nobody was there to answer?

Cat sighed, leaning her head against the wall. She'd go back to trying to help soon, but she'd just give herself this moment first, with the simplebots who were always being useful.
General Discussion / Re: No such thing as a stupid ...
Last post by Natalie - September 09, 2023, 03:14:06 PM
What a coincidence, I was just wondering the other day whether it'd be possible to make an alcoholic beverage where the condensation that forms on the outside would be alcoholic, to get around open container laws.