News:

Refugia News: Councillor of Operations Ignores Questions, Repeatedly Striking Brick with Hammer, Screaming "NO!"

Main Menu

Recent posts

Refugia / Re: [draft] Thesis 3: Consiste...
Last post by Emily - November 21, 2023, 05:49:28 PM
Quote from: Luca on November 21, 2023, 05:43:10 PMBoth of these concerns would be relatively moot if the Councillor of Cartography map were, instead, a game map that rest every term and did not depend on stable transitions between administrations and did not promise long-term continuity, but interest in that manner of service has never been expressed.

This actually sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in term-long maps. Maybe that would inspire some more RP activity?

But you're right about the issues with my suggestion. I'll be happy to second this unless anyone else has thoughts on it.
Last post by Luca - November 21, 2023, 05:43:10 PM
Quote from: Emily on November 21, 2023, 05:32:03 PMI agree that the map should be handled by us again, but I have a thought on this. What do you think of us taking the original map over again, but leaving the Councillor of Cartography position in place to oversee secondary maps and RP treaties? That way we have a consistently-updated map, but if people do have novel ideas on things they can change or enhance the position with, they still have some opportunity for that.
One primary issue would obviously be duelling awareness and legitimacy. There would, presumably, be a links which read "Regional Map" and "RP Map", yielding an indefinite stream of questions about what the differences were between the two and why one would be preferable to the other. While this solution may make sense from an administrative perspective, that may be the only perspective where it is viable.

A second issue would be that there is presently no user-interfacable way for someone to regularly update and publicly back up the map data on CalRef servers, meaning that there is no infrastructure in place to handle administration changes in spite of attempts to carry out malicious data removal or sabotage (such as was seen from Operations earlier this year). I would not (and should not) feel rushed or compelled to create new software to address a liability that did not exist when I was managing the map exclusively.

Both of these concerns would be relatively moot if the Councillor of Cartography map were, instead, a game map that rest every term and did not depend on stable transitions between administrations and did not promise long-term continuity, but interest in that manner of service has never been expressed.
Last post by Emily - November 21, 2023, 05:32:03 PM
I agree that the map should be handled by us again, but I have a thought on this. What do you think of us taking the original map over again, but leaving the Councillor of Cartography position in place to oversee secondary maps and RP treaties? That way we have a consistently-updated map, but if people do have novel ideas on things they can change or enhance the position with, they still have some opportunity for that.
Refugia / [draft] Thesis 3: Consistency ...
Last post by Luca - November 21, 2023, 05:27:10 PM
Thesis 3: Consistency In Our Maps

PREAMBLE. Recollecting that the map of the Region was first created four years ago in late September of 2019 by Refuge Isle and Sylh Alanor,

Noting that consistent and high-quality updates of the Regional map occurred thereafter across 46 instances, nearly exclusively in one-month intervals,

Aware that this regular map operation handled hundreds of applications, including special requests to recognise sapient aquatic species, raise or lower land masses, and make raw data files available such that Member States could reproduce, extrapolate, and experiment with their own map versions,

Iterating that Statute Revision #28 created the Regional Council seat of Cartography in order to reconcile multiple regions of the map and alleviate "challenges to decision making and organisation" as a result of not being administered by parties who were Councillors elected to do so,

Lamenting that regular updates to the map have since ceased, the map's quality has decreased, and its public raw data access has been reduced, while the format of the map itself has become a matter of political debate,

Concluding that while it was never understood what the Revision was referring to when suggesting problems that appointed individuals create, it is certainly clear that issues of decision-making and organisation are established and renewed every election cycle under the current scheme, jeopardizing the consistency, continuity, reliability, expedience of the Region's cartography, and consequently:

Abolishes RRS 7(f). and its subsections.

Authored by: Refuge Isle
Seconded by:
Refugia / [draft] Thesis 2: Coherency In...
Last post by Luca - November 20, 2023, 01:58:20 PM
Thesis 2: Coherency In Our Text

PREAMBLE. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to reflect on the text that governs a land, one may find that an original law may be insufficient at addressing a scenario which was, at the law's conception, inconceivable,

Although some governments may elect to establish, for example, twenty-seven addendums to the original law, this Region adopts a more enlightened possibility, provided by electronic documentation: The Delete Button, and

Revises RRS 12 and 13 in their entirety to the following, more diet-conscious text:

RRS 12. The Arch-Administrator will call elections for all democratic Council seats according to the following convention:

Candidacy PeriodFeb 12 - 19May 12 - 19Aug 12 - 19Nov 12 - 19
Voting PeriodFeb 20 - 26May 20 - 26Aug 20 - 26Nov 20 - 26
Transition PeriodFeb 27 - 28May 27 - 28Aug 27 - 28Nov 27 - 28

• During the Candidacy Period, any Member State may declare their intention to stand for office.
  • During the Voting Period, all Member States may vote in all elections via ranked preference instant-runoff; candidates are eliminated by fewest votes in each round of ballot counting.
  • During the Transition Period, elected councillors will receive overlapping access and powers with their predecessors, and all predecessors are dismissed at the end of the Period.

RRS 13. The following rules govern election procedure:

• Declarations must be posted to the Regional Message Board.
  • Candidacies composed of multiple Member States are invalid, and candidacies where a Resident has lost Member State status during the election cycle become invalid.
  • Member States are prohibited from occupying more than one Council seat at a time or occupying the same Council seat more than two times consecutively.
  • In the case that a Member State has won multiple Council seats, they must select their Council seat of preference within 24 hours of the Voting Period's conclusion, otherwise the selection will be carried out by the Arch-Administrator.
  • If a position is unable to be filled or becomes vacant by resignation, absence from existence, or legal impossibility, the Arch-Administrator may act in that position's capacity or appoint an individual who will serve in that capacity for the remainder of the term.

Seconded by: Chacapoya
Refugia / Re: [draft] Thesis 1: Peace In...
Last post by Luca - November 20, 2023, 01:20:15 PM
Thanks for that. Fixed.
Refugia / Re: [draft] Thesis 1: Peace In...
Last post by Catherine - November 20, 2023, 01:04:10 PM
Should read "state of war" rather than "state or war", but otherwise I like this one.
Refugia / [at vote] Thesis 1: Peace In O...
Last post by Luca - November 20, 2023, 01:00:39 PM
Thesis 1: Peace In Our Time

PREAMBLE. In the year since the acknowledgement of a state of war,

The enemies of Refugia, which had previously existed through incorporeal planes between realms, have been subsequently purged from the plane in which Refugia primarily occupies, in accordance with the arc of natural justice in the universe,

Where deficiencies in alacrity as well as lethargy in personal responsibility previously manifested without contest, trans-dimensional safeguards have since been established to reduce the potency of bad actors' relevance and maleficence in any future attempts at belligerence,

Although aware that such events are impossible to prevent, the Region is receptive to the attempts made to do so regardless,

Therefore observes that a state of war no longer exists and,

Abolishes RRS 16. and its subsections, and decrements the Refugia Revised statutes by one thereafter.

Seconded by: Tiralta
General Discussion / Re: The CalRef Recipe Book
Last post by Catherine - November 05, 2023, 08:26:28 AM
I tried this recipe this afternoon (late lunch? early dinner?) and it's good, but I highly recommend adding chilli flakes to it for an even warmer spicier stew.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bean-halloumi-stew
General Discussion / Re: The CalRef Recipe Book
Last post by Catherine - November 04, 2023, 11:20:14 AM
Cat's "Bruh I Need To Use Up A Broccoli" pasta

You will need:
  • Some kind of blender
  • Pasta of choice (I've been using spiralli cause it's my favourite)
  • 1 head of broccoli's worth of florets
  • 1 brown onion
  • Mushrooms, maybe like 150-200g? This is not a precise recipe, don't worry about it.
  • Peas - I've been using a small can of garden peas which is 180g I think?
  • A couple cloves of garlic, or a couple of teaspoons of garlic paste (go with your heart, I'm not gonna police anybody's garlic use)
  • Some kind of cheese or substitute - cheddar or cream cheese work well
  • Some oil of choice (I use olive but I don't think it matters?)
  • Seasonings, I've been liberally using an "italian mix" with a little extra rosemary and sage thrown in, salt and black pepper
  • Pesto

1. Chop your vegetables. Do it now before you begin because I will forget to tell you later in the method otherwise.

2. Add a little oil to a pan on medium heat and throw in your onion to soften for a minute or two with your garlic and seasonings

3. Add the broccoli and top up with boiling water till covered

4. After idk like 10 minutes, add your mushrooms and peas. Set your pasta to boil at this point too (in a separate pan). Keep an eye on that and drain it when it's cooked.

5. Once the broccoli is soft enough to stab it easily with a fork, you wanna drain it.

6. Add 2 ladles of the pasta water to the broccoli pan and then blend.

7. Set it back on a low heat and add some cream cheese or cheddar or some kinda substitute if you don't have dairy and stir in well till fully melted. Add more water if the sauce is too thick for your liking, and add more salt and pepper if you want to. Nak suggests adding pesto too!

8. At this point you can add your pasta to the sauce, mixing well so it gets fully coated.

Serves 4-6 depending on how much pasta you made and how thick you like the sauce.

It really is just a "use up broccoli" recipe so there is room for improvement, if anyone does try this and makes it better I would love to know!