News:

Grandpa Ant Says: Plant anything you find! You never know when it will become a bigger version of itself in three weeks.

Main Menu

OoC: A Voice from the Storm

Started by Luca, November 06, 2019, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casimir

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 09, 2019, 05:54:20 PM
Riza has an entire wiki page on their history if you want to read it 🤣I don't know that it's cool, but I'm pretty proud of it.
I've started reading it! It's p cool honestly, I like it a lot.

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 09, 2019, 05:54:20 PM
Quick question, what are the Sylven 👀are they just a cultural group of humans? Another race? Sylphs? 👀👀👀👀
Sylven are a cultural group of humans which has grown more distinct, genetically speaking, due to their isolation behind a number of mountain chains. I haven't worldbuilt much into this but I know they speak a different native language, cultivate yams, raise sheep, and manipulate forests by planting trees in a way that maximises the productivity of farmland. They live in isolated communities but share extensive knowledge of the natural world and their immediate surroundings. However, they are shy and taught to be afraid of the outside world.

Do you think I could post my text now? :3
that is not dead which can eternal lie;
and with strange æons even death may die.

Emily

If it helps, Ceadichte Mòir is a lumber society that exists because if you cut down a tree in Kingfisher Forest, it's back the next day.

Casimir

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 09, 2019, 06:07:17 PM
If it helps, Ceadichte Mòir is a lumber society that exists because if you cut down a tree in Kingfisher Forest, it's back the next day.

That's so damn cool :hearteyes: I love it :3

Luca

This is one of the best entrance posts we've ever had from someone new to RPing. You did a good job, Cas, I'm proud of you  :heartbeat:

Emily

I agree 1000%. For all your worrying, Cas, you crafted a really interesting and compelling post! You're amazing ^-^

Luca

Quote from: Casimir on November 09, 2019, 06:09:59 PMHence, Ramår resolved to follow the forest's edge, all the while keeping their distance. They plucked some marram grass from the fertile earth under their feet, and forced themselves to swallow their juices with tsampa and a pickled yam. They started walking. In the distance, northward, the sky seemed lit up with bonfires and torches. Ramår's pace grew more hasty.

Is this meant to hint at Ramår beginning to see Ceadaichte Mòir in the distance? If so, would you like to work on a collaborative post? Kaegan is now my only character in the story until we set off through the forest and he hasn't been doing much of anything lately.

Casimir

Quote from: Wisdom on November 12, 2019, 03:35:06 PM
Is this meant to hint at Ramår beginning to see Ceadaichte Mòir in the distance? If so, would you like to work on a collaborative post? Kaegan is now my only character in the story until we set off through the forest and he hasn't been doing much of anything lately.

Is Ceadaichte Mòir the village where Cathal and Riza and the rest are? In any case, sure! I'd love to do a collab post <3 Just remind me what C. Mòir is again!

Emily

Quote from: Casimir on November 14, 2019, 11:27:49 AMIs Ceadaichte Mòir the village where Cathal and Riza and the rest are?
Yes  :tongue:

Casimir

In that case, absolutely! I wasn't sure what kind of technology Ceadaichte Mòir had so I just settled on a bonfire. Villages have those, right?

Doing a collab post would be most practical, Luca. Unfortunately I'm dreadfully bad at writing dialogue :geh:. But I'd be delighted to get an entry into CM as swiftly as possible :3

Emily

You could always read the first couple posts of the rp you're posting in  :sweatsmile: the first post of an rp is intended to be the world setup.

Casimir

Emily

Actually, upon rereading it I've found that my original post might have been insufficient for painting a picture of the town itself outside of Síne's limited perspective. I was confused because the topic-starting post was originally like 2.5x the length and had a lot of in-depth discussion on Ceadaichte Mòir. I apologise for pointing you toward a source that doesn't actually give you the information that you were asking for :c

Ceadaichte Mòir is, as far as we've revealed, a low-tech farming village more or less in-line with the real world early medieval era. There's very little contact with the outside world, let alone the country's capital (Coxarif), and the village is self-sufficient in terms of their needs. Seasonal traders come a few times per year (I originally imagined twice, but I suppose coming at the beginning of spring/summer/fall also could work) to trade luxuries like paper, candles, books, and the like for surplus crops and other valuables, but that's usually it. The people are friendly, but wary of outsiders, and generally disinterested in things that are outside of their purview.

I originally imagined that Síne would discover some minor magical ability once she was travelling through the forest, a capability that never would have surfaced in her hometown, because there was no need for it nor method in place for coaxing it out. Because 99% of people are only interested in farming and are barely literate (though Síne is quite proud of having attained 100% literacy), they never push to be anything more.

I had originally imagined Ceadaichte Mòir as being in the northwestern reaches of Ustendelle, but I wouldn't want your character to have to walk up an entire country :rofl: so I have no problem with it being near the southern border. But the winters are very rough and the lands are bleak once you travel too far from the forest. The village survives on logging (since every tree in Kingfisher that gets cut down regrows within a month or so) and farming, but they can only farm hardy vegetables and livestock that can survive the colder climate and harder ground.

I originally had established all of the vegetables that they grew, the livestock they raised, the local geography including peat bogs and where the nearest water sources were, all the way to the style of how their houses were built, but that was way way way overboard

Luca

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 14, 2019, 06:16:37 PMActually, upon rereading it I've found that my original post might have been insufficient for painting a picture of the town itself outside of Síne's limited perspective.
There are two things that have done this, one is that a lot of the world is stuff that we've discussed irl, and it's never made it's way into this thread or the roleplay channel back when it existed. The other is that this RP has been going on for a year and hasn't had a lot of posts in that time period  :tongue:
That and not many people want to read stuff from the beginning of the RP to start, so let me write this glorious tl;dr sparknotes summary of where we are:

• Ceadaichte Mòir is, as far as we've revealed, a low-tech farming village more or less in-line with the real world early medieval era. There's very little contact with the outside world. And anything outside of this, honestly, honestly, honestly, is not going to come up at this point as far as I'm concerned.

• The Forest, as far as we know, is an ancient growth that is IC unknowable in size, OoC 50km thick, as far north and south as is known. It is magically grown, so its boundaries are solid lines and trees that are cut down regrow instantly. OoC this is a protective "Hey, leave us alone!" line.

• El, Rea, and Natalie's characters have effectively left the RP and will not be interacted with or controlled without their original author's permission.

• Síne - 34 is Emily's leaping-off character to get started. This rural school teacher who doesn't know or do much and will probably not be brought up again unless she's needed as a literary tool.

• Talamaeus Laraxius - 63† is my leaping-off character, who was a man named Herbert Wallace who went insane and proclaimed himself emperor of a nearby parcel of land for some four years or however long it was. He was shot to death with a crossbow bolt.

• Rizali - 94 is a non-binary elf mage who appears to people through illusion spells, commanding a caravan that is going to cross the forest to try to find some fabled "endless empire" on the other side because there may be a better magic school there.

• Kaegan - 16 is a social outcast from his home village because he accidentally cast some magic ability that he didn't know he had and people in this region hate magic, and exiled him immediately. He has some weak sword skills, but is mostly an apathetic youth in every regard. He's joined Riza's caravan because he literally has nowhere else to go.
  • Ramår - 16 a Sylvan enbie who explored to far from home and now might(?) be near Ceadaichte Mòir?

• Cathal a human boy apparently from AVftS's incarnation of real life Ireland, which is in a state of civil war. At this time, he doesn't seem interested in joining the caravan, so when the main group leaves idfk what's going to happen there.

• The "Endless Empire" is probably not called that by the people who live there. But there is an actual empire on the other side of the forest that is very big, very centralised, and very militaristic. Emily and I have planned out a couple characters to play when we finally get there. Her a captain of the guard, me a higher level magic teacher in the primary magic school. We have theorised that this as yet unnamed empire is controlled by an emperor and several nobles who reach their positions through political manoeuvring and dedication to the cause people with magic abilities are not necessarily in the upper echelons of government, but it probably helps. There is a sort of counter-culture cabal that is rumoured to exist and stir up trouble at points. The rest is unknown.

Does this help?

Rea

So, um, hi.

I posted.

I think I'll wait for you guys to make it to the forest, then I'll spring trap you! (Not really, but I will come along if that's cool.)

Luca

Quote from: Rea on November 16, 2019, 05:00:35 PM
So, um, hi.

I posted.

I think I'll wait for you guys to make it to the forest, then I'll spring trap you! (Not really, but I will come along if that's cool.)

Hi Rea, I've missed you :heart:

Rea

Aww, thank you, I missed you too!

Also, nice summary.

Edit: Kyrie, your awareness of your overboardness is adorable.

Casimir

Rea, I absolutely loved that post <3 I loved how in-character it was

Thanks for the tl;dr, Luca. Still up for a collab post?

Quote from: Wisdom on November 16, 2019, 10:09:41 AMRamår - 16 a Sylvan enbie who explored to far from home and now might(?) be near Ceadaichte Mòir?
Yeah, I hadn't payed much attention to the geography of AVFtS so I pictured Ramår and Tsunpar rather in the vicinity of Ceadaichte Mòir and the Forest.

I'd love to hear more about the worldbuilding behind the village, Kyrie. Worldbuilding everything to the smallest detail is the best. Peat bogs :heart:

/C

Emily

Luca provides an incredible summary of characters! :heart: :heart:
REA IS BACK! :heart: :heart:
Cas hasn't forgotten about us! :heart: :heart:

Quote from: Casimir on November 17, 2019, 07:56:01 AMI'd love to hear more about the worldbuilding behind the village, Kyrie. Worldbuilding everything to the smallest detail is the best. Peat bogs :heart:

Oh no, I think I've done quite enough :laughing: I've shared all I need to. Further information can always go into the wiki should it ever prove relevant.

Luca

Quote from: Casimir on November 17, 2019, 07:56:01 AMThanks for the tl;dr, Luca. Still up for a collab post?
Of course, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Quote from: Valkyrie on November 17, 2019, 08:16:53 AMOh no, I think I've done quite enough :laughing: I've shared all I need to. Further information can always go into the wiki should it ever prove relevant.

The best part about RPing is that we can all build the world. In the past, I've liked building wiki articles because it's an easier sandbox for me to work out complicated things about characters, governments, and world mechanics, and talking about possible different versions here. But no one has a monopoly on ideas

Rea

Thanks so much Casimir!!! I look forward to writing with you!!!

*hugs Kyrie* Squee~!