[passed] In The Off Season, I Drive an Omnibus Election Consolidation Package

Started by Luca, February 08, 2022, 04:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luca

In The Off Season, I Drive an Omnibus Election Consolidation Package

PRERAMBLE.

Whereas the current election scheme was designed to allow Member States who were unsuccessful in an election to run for a subsequent election and,

Whereas a single Member State has taken advantage of this dynamic in the three years the Region has existed,

Desiring a more streamlined election cycle that better facilitates a less harsh candidacy period and which does not dump unsuspecting Councillors into office without a proper debriefing of their station,

RRS 10 and RRS 11 shall be replaced entirely with the following content:

10. The succession of the Arch-Administrator is subject to the succession laws of Refuge Isle, and verified by the presence of an anchor stone and Administration Tower. The Arch-Administrator will call elections for all democratic Council seats according to the following convention:

Candidacy PeriodFeb 1 - 7Jun 1 - 7Oct 1 - 7
Voting PeriodFeb 8 - 14Jun 8 - 14Oct 8 - 14
Transition PeriodFeb 15 - 21Jun 15 - 21Oct 15 - 21

11. Elections will consist of a one week candidacy period where an eligible Member State may declare their intent to stand for office, a one week voting period where all Member States may vote for their desired candidate, and a one week transition period to acclimate the incoming Councillor with their roles and responsibilities. Terms officially begin the 22nd day of February, June, and October.

a. Candidacy declarations must be given in one or more easily accessible areas as designated by the Arch-Administrator.

b. Residents must qualify as Member States as defined in RRS 3 to be eligible for candidacy.

c. Member States are prohibited from occupying more than one seat at any given time or occupying the same Council seat more than two times consecutively.

d. In the event of more than two valid candidates for a single seat, instant run-off voting will determine the winner, where candidates are ranked by preference on the ballot and eliminated by fewest votes during each round of ballot counting.

e. The election for each seat is resolved in favour of the candidate with the most votes at the final round of ballot counting.

f. In the event of unexpected absences or positions that cannot be filled, the Arch-Administrator may act in that position's capacity, or appoint an individual who may serve in that position's capacity until the following election produces a regular appointment.
Authored by: Refuge Isle
Seconded by:

Zukchiva

QuoteWhereas no Member State has taken advantage of this dynamic in the three years the Region has existed,
This is probably not accurate anymore, considering Djorner.

Quoted. In the event of more than two valid candidates, instant run-off voting will determine the winner, where candidates are ranked by preference on the ballot and eliminated by fewest votes during each round of ballot counting.

e. Elections are resolved in favour of the candidate with the most votes at the final round of ballot counting.
I would clarify here that this is in regard for each election; or in other words, there are separate elections for each seat. As it is, I think it could be misconstrued to say "we have one massive gigantic election and the top 4 candidates become councillors", rather than elections for each seat.

I say this while recognizing the wording in 10 dispels this interpretation, but would still be better to reword 11 for clarity's sake as it isn't clear what 11 means without reading 10.
A random goose has appeared.

Luca

Quote from: Zukchiva on February 24, 2022, 11:35:30 AM
QuoteWhereas no Member State has taken advantage of this dynamic in the three years the Region has existed,
This is probably not accurate anymore, considering Djorner.

Quoted. In the event of more than two valid candidates, instant run-off voting will determine the winner, where candidates are ranked by preference on the ballot and eliminated by fewest votes during each round of ballot counting.

e. Elections are resolved in favour of the candidate with the most votes at the final round of ballot counting.
I would clarify here that this is in regard for each election; or in other words, there are separate elections for each seat. As it is, I think it could be misconstrued to say "we have one massive gigantic election and the top 4 candidates become councillors", rather than elections for each seat.

I say this while recognizing the wording in 10 dispels this interpretation, but would still be better to reword 11 for clarity's sake as it isn't clear what 11 means without reading 10.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten. It is kinda funny that although it had been three years without the staggered elections being used for their intended purpose, it happened as soon as that observation was written down.

Good points on all. I've modified the draft with these in mind, see if it suits you.